Close Search

Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program Landlord Information

Landlords will play a critical role in connecting renters in need with the assistance available through the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program.


Landlords that have tenants in need of help with rent or utility payments should:

  • Provide tenants with information on the application process.
  • Encourage tenants to take the eligibility precheck.
    • Direct tenants who meet all eligibility precheck criteria to gather required identification and income documentation.
    • Sign up to receive notification for when the full online application will be available, currently scheduled for March.
    • When available, tenants unable to complete the online application may have a family member, friend, case manager or other trusted party assist in completing the application or contact our Housing Recovery Help Line for such assistance (all required documentation must be submitted with application).
  • Ensure tenants have the correct landlord email address.
    • This email is used for landlord verification purposes.
    • Applications without a completed landlord verification cannot be reviewed.

Landlord Process

After a tenant completes an online application the landlord will be notified of the application via email and will be directed to login to the application portal to:

  • Verify tenant information
  • Agree to waive all late fees and penalties incurred to date
  • Agree to the terms of the Certification Not to Evict and sign

Landlord Submitted Applications

Landlords may apply on behalf of eligible tenants, so long as the following requirements are met:  

  • The landlord must obtain the tenant’s signature on the legally binding tenant cosign form to be submitted with the application. (This form will be available soon).  
  • The landlord must obtain all required documents from the tenant to be uploaded as part of the application. Incomplete applications cannot be reviewed for assistance.  
  • The landlord must provide proof of identification for both the landlord and the tenant.
    • If the actual landlord’s proof of identification is not available, the property manager or employee of the ownership entity must upload proof of identification instead. 
  • The landlord must apply all payments received to satisfy each individual tenant’s rental obligation. 
Note: tenants must meet all program eligibility requirements to be eligible for the program.

Application Process

More information on the online application process for landlords will be available soon.

Stay up to date

Sign up to receive information about how you can help your tenants get access to the assistance available through the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance program.

Sign Up Here

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can a landlord apply for rental assistance on behalf of their eligible tenant(s)? 

Yes, landlords can apply for assistance on behalf of a tenant(s) so long as each tenant signs a tenant cosign form and provides all documentation required for the application. The landlord also must sign the tenant cosign form, complete the landlord verification, certify that the funds will be applied to the tenant’s rental obligation and agree to waive all late fees and penalties incurred to date and to the Certification Not to Evict.  

2. The Landlord Verification asks me to provide my Bank Name, Routing Number and Account Number. How do I know my bank's routing number? 

Your bank’s routing number is always a 9-digit number found at the bottom of your checks. Generally, the routing number is the first set of numbers on the check but may be the middle set of numbers on business account checks. You may also contact your bank directly and ask them to provide the correct routing number for ACH payments. Providing an incorrect routing number will delay the deposit of the rental assistance to your account. See example check image here.

3. My tenant receives a monthly federal subsidy (e.g. Housing Choice Voucher, Public Housing, Project-Based Section 8, USDA Rural Development), are they eligible to apply?

No, Households that receive a monthly federal subsidy where their rent is adjusted according to changes in income, are ineligible to apply for assistance through the program.

4. I have a tenant that owes back rent but for unknown reasons is not willing to cooperate to apply for assistance through the program. Can I apply directly as their landlord?
No. Landlords may only apply on behalf tenants if the tenant signs a legally binding tenant cosign form and provides the landlord with all required documentation for the application.
5. If tenants don't need help making utility payments, can they still apply for help with rent?

Yes. Eligible tenants may apply for rent assistance only, utility assistance only or both rent and utility assistance.

Stay Connected with Iowa Finance Authority’s Newsletter SIGN ME UP